Children from 4 to 9 years old benefit most from speech and drama classes as they are generally able to express themselves without being too self-conscious or worried about saying the ‘wrong’ things. They are able to absorb and develop dramatic experiences readily as there is no pressure to perform at that age level. Furthermore, they are also at the age where pretending is almost a daily activity when they play with their toys and when they listen to stories.
Children from 10 to 12 years old have usually absorbed a basic level of discipline and are able to follow instructions and generally behave themselves. Their concentration level is higher and for them, the dramatic experience is enhanced by the variety of games they have played and stories they have read or heard when they were younger. At this age, they will readily absorb new skills and experiences.
The topics set out in this Speech & Drama programme focus on the process of learning creative drama skills instead of producing flawless performances. Therefore, there is a lot of fun in every lesson. Instead of uninteresting warm-ups, the children play games and enjoy themselves without realising that they are warming up for physical activity which is part of the lesson. The course is conducted at the children’s pace and comfort levels while challenging their creative abilities, coordination, teamwork and quick thinking as well as problem-solving skills.
The courses will include the following activities:
- Mime – the basics, physical actions, expressions, animals and objects
- Reading – applying movement and sound to stories and nursery rhymes
- Singing – breathing right and singing with movement
- Talk – sharing a little about their lives in a ‘show and tell’ session
- Drama – bringing storybook scenes to life
- Improvisation – performing impromptu scenes
- Readers’ Theatre – using their voices to breathe life into characters while reading from a script
The programme offers three levels:
- Level 1 for ages 4–6
- Level 2 for ages 7–9
- Level 3, which will focus on musicals, for ages 10–12