Cambridge English: Key (KET) offers learners a basic qualification in English, serving as an ideal pathway to higher qualifications.
Users of English at this elementary level are also described as Waystage (Level A2) users. A Waystage user will be able to use English in a range of daily situations with native and non-native speakers of English while studying, working or travelling in their own or a foreign country.
The KET course covers all four language skills – listening, speaking, reading and writing.
At the end of the course, learners are expected to:
- read and write simple texts and gain information from explanatory texts
- understand basic facts and information given in announcements and/or public address systems
- handle basic enquiries related to their area of familiarity
- provide straightforward facts when asked directly and take simple messages
- express their own likes and dislikes in simple terms
- understand and identify the gist of printed information
The KET course syllabus and assessment is structured to reflect the use of language in real life and corresponds closely to an active communicative approach to learning English, with a focus on clarity and accuracy.
The Cambridge English: Key (KET) course is designed to effectively prepare learners for the KET examination by:
- teaching the language, skills and techniques needed for exam success
- building confidence by explaining what they have to do, showing them how to do it and providing plenty of practice at regular intervals throughout the course
- making the preparation fun with engaging texts and motivating practice activities
- providing thorough training and guidance on how to deal with unfamiliar questions
Learners are advised to first take a placement test to determine which course is appropriate to their level of English language proficiency. This one-hour test can be taken at any CEFL Centre. At the end of the course, they can opt to sit for the appropriate level exam from Cambridge English Language Assessment Examinations.
Click here for further information on the KET exam components, eligibility, schedule, fees, registration and results.